Every business big and small can benefit from saving energy. Whenever you save energy, you automatically save money for your business. Energy costs significantly contribute to your company’s bottom line, so saving more energy adds to the profitability of your business.
Certain efforts such as switching to appliances that save energy, will involve an upfront investment; however, in most instances, this investment pays rich dividends and you save a considerable amount on your energy costs. All branded appliances and equipment have energy rating labels which helps you make smart choices and save money.
It’s vital that you scrutinise your energy cost and start to identify which aspects of your business are consuming the most energy. Generally, any equipment that involves cooling and heating uses the most energy. You should consider getting an energy assessment done; it measures the current energy usage as well as greenhouse gas emissions of your business, to provide expert recommendations on which actions you can prioritise to improve your business’ energy-efficiency.
Here we talk about various categories and energy-saving suggestions and tips to help your business cut down on its energy usage and save on utility bills:
#1 Office equipment
Changes you can make
- Turn off PCs, monitors, copiers, printers, copiers & lights at the end of every work day.
- Reduce paper usage by reusing paper or printing double-sided documents.
- Use email rather than faxing documents and sending memos.
- Purchase energy star rated office equipment that power-down after the specific period of inactivity.
- If possible use laptops as they consume up to 90 percent less electricity than standard desktop PCs.
- If possible opt for inkjet printers versus laser printers; the former use 90% less energy than their laser counterparts.
- Purchase the right sized copiers as per your business’ needs.
Changes you can make
- Turn off lights when not required.
- Clean dusty lamps and diffusers every 6 to 12 month.
- Turn off signs and any other lights that aren’t needed for safety and security.
- Substitute CFLs or incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs that are 80% more energy-efficient than CFLs.
- Install reflectors in place of excess fluorescent lights.
- Replace incandescent/fluorescent exit signs with LED exit signs.
- Purchase light fixtures with dimmers that allow you to manually adjust the level of light in the room.
- Rewire washroom fans so they operate with the light fixtures.
- Install motion detectors to control the lights in less-frequented areas such as copy rooms and washrooms.
- Install and EMS (energy management system) to automatically control lighting systems.
Changes you can make
- Make sure that the doors and windows have no gaps as this helps improve insulation levels and maintain a comfortable indoor temperature.
- Close shades in the daytime to reduce the heat gain from the sun’s rays.
- When possible, turn the air conditioners off for the last hour of every work day.
- Keep indoor temperatures at 25°C during the winter and 18°C during the warmer months.
- Install programmable thermostats/timers to maximise the efficiency of your HVAC system.
- Install covers with locks on the thermostats to prevent employees from tampering with the system’s temperature settings.
- Perform regular servicing and maintenance on all HVAC units.
- Get the pipe insulation and ducts checked for damage.
Smart, low-cost investments
- Replace you older HVAC system with a new energy-efficient one.
- Install awnings and reflective window film on all south-west facing glass doors and windows.
- Install solar screens or blinds on windows to cool your workplace.
- Install good quality wall and ceiling insulation.
- Pressurise and inspect all ducts for leakage.
- Insulate supply pipes and water heaters.
For effective and sustainable cost reduction strategies & efficiencies that will increase your bottom line, contact the experts at Benchmark Cost Solutions at this number – 02 9525 0777. If you prefer, write to us at this email address, and we will revert quickly.
Thanks for reading,
Benchmark Cost Solutions Team
02 9525 0777