Common things we can help with:
Firstly we identify the costly mistakes that big corporate and medium sized companies might be making.
• Locking long-term rates at the wrong time of year.
• Not understanding the rates presenter fully i.e. not taking into account the total costs including currency adjustments/collection fees.
• Working with a provider for a long time and not going to market breeding complacency.
• Not reviewing new best practices in the supply chain.
• Not understanding the shipping market and having visibility to market movements.
• Never let the seller provide the freight forwarding ever.
• Having a clearly defined tariff encompassing all FOB charges at origin and all destination costs.
• Ensure every single charge is explained to you and why you are paying for it.
Understanding your costs helps you to stay on top of your tariffs, which can easily go under the radar as one of a businesses main issues
Benchmark Cost Solutions can take the hard work out of negotiations with your incumbent suppliers ensuring that our clients have the advantage of a current snapshot of their business and identifying areas of the business where they seems to be less competitive. In many instances we find our clients do not understand the full picture of what they are paying.
INTERCOMS – International commerce terms
EXW – Ex works
FOB – Free on board
CFR –Cost and freight
CIF – Cost insurance and freight
DAT – Delivered at terminal
DAP – Delivered at place
DDP – Delivered duty paid
TEU – Standard 20’ container
CY – Container yard
LCL – Less than container load
FCL – full container load
FAK – Freight all kind ( mixed containers )
BBK – break bulk
BAF – bunker adjustment factor
W/M – weight measure
CAF – currency adjuster factor
D/O – Delivery order
THC – Terminal handling charge
SCA – Sea cargo automation
APC – Australian port charges
B/L – Bill of lading
CVAL – Customs value
RO/ RO – Roll on roll off
Skid – Small pallet
ULD – Unit load
PSC – Port service charge
Skell – Skeleton trailer
Fumo – Fumigation
FSC – Fuel surcharge
CTO – Container terminal operators
Wharf storage – containers are allowed 3 free days